What is Employment Discrimination?
Employment, or workplace, discrimination is the differential treatment of a qualified candidate for employment on the basis of race, gender, age, etc. This differential treatment can include refusing employment, unsafe working conditions, unfair treatment regarding benefits, compensation or pay, forced retirement, unsubstantiated firing and various types of harassment.
Are You the Victim of Employment Discrimination?
Under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, you, as well as all other citizens of the United States, are legally protected from discrimination by any employer, be it public or private. For example, the following characteristics cannot influence an employer’s treatment of potential, current or past employees:
- Sex and gender.
- Race or color.
- Religious beliefs.
- Sexual orientation.
If you have experienced any of the following injustices, you may be the victim of employment discrimination:
- Harassment. A hostile work environment often goes hand-in-hand with workplace discrimination. This type of harassment can occur on the part of the employer as well as coworkers, and must be the result of one of the previously mentioned characteristics which are protected under law.
- Forcing employees to perform in unsafe work conditions.
- Denying promotions or other benefits on the basis of protected characteristics.
- Punishment or retaliation upon reporting discrimination. For example, this could occur if you’ve reported workplace discrimination to the proper authorities then received a pay cut or a reduction in hours.
- Denying certain individuals the opportunity to take part in recruitment or advertizing for the company.
Finding an Employment Discrimination Lawyer Portland Oregon
Here at Leiman Law, we understand the personal needs of the client. We are knowledgeable and experienced in the unique intricacies of workplace discrimination and are willing and able to provide the help you need. Due to the delicate nature of workplace discrimination, we also offer free and confidential consultations where we will inform you of your legal rights as an employee. We also work on a contingent fee basis: no recovery, no fee. So, if you are looking for an employment discrimination lawyer Portland Oregon, Leiman Law attorneys is the team that works for you. Let us help you right the wrongs of employment discrimination so you can move on with your life and your career.